I have been using chemical and cruelty free makeup for quite some time now and I have been seeing a lot of things on social media about using cruelty free makeup. The other thing I have noticed is people seem to think it is hard to find good quality cruelty free makeup, but they are wrong. All it takes is a little research and a little reading to know which products are cruelty free. Even if you don’t want to research it, all you have to do is look onthe back of any product for the leaping bunny. Because i am familiar with most brands and have tried a lot of them I figured I should just share my knowledge with you. I am also big on chemical free ( lead? no thank you!) and I have tried a good portion of them.
It is so important that we use cruelty free products. Supply and demand – if we stop buying the products tested on animals, then they will start to disappear ( hopefully). There is so many amazing companies and products that do not test on animals, so why would you choose to support someone who purposely hurts and tortures animals?
Ive created two lists – one with just cruelty free companies and one with both cruelty and chemical free companies. Ive also indicated which ones I have tried and love.
- Elf – love their liquid eyeliner and they are very affordable
- Lush Cosmetics
- Kat Von D – I use her locked it powder
- Too Faced
- Nyx – their lipsticks are amazing and I just bought an eye shadow palette that i love~
- Besame – again, love their lipstick, especially the reds
- Josie Maron
- Anastasia – love her brow pomade
- Pur Minerals
- Coloured Rain – great liquid lipsticks
- Cake – for their dry shampoo
- Hard Candy
- Burts Bees – I love their tinted lip balms
- I AM SIN – Masumi Max’s makeup line!!
- Obsessive Compulsive Cosmetics – Ive used their lip tars which are nice
- Sugar Pill Cosmetics
If ever you are not sure, just look for one of the labels below on the box or container. If an item is cruelty free it will be indicated on the packaging. Companies are proud to be cruelty free so always let you know!
- Pure Anada – my favorite!! I love their mascara, best Ive used
- Boho Cosmetics
- Tarte – not 100% chemical free, but pretty close!
- Pacifica – I use their perfume
- Dr Hauschka
- The Rocky Mountain Soap Company – they make great lip gloss and lip tint
- Earth Lab
- Andalou Cosmetics
These lists are just cosmetics, there are so many more which include hair and body products – shampoo, hairspray, toothpaste, body wash. Anything you can think of, you can find cruelty free. If you are ever not sure all you have to do is search the brand in google – easy peasy. There is no excuse for ignorance when it is way too easy to find the answer.
It is also fairly easy to shop chemical free as well, you may just have to look a little harder. I usually shop online at well.ca or at my local oragn supermarket; you are not going to find chemical free at the drug store. Here is a link for the main ingredients to avoid in cosmetics, and I can guarantee you that you are currently using most of these right now! Click here
You can look on Peta’s website to find a complete list if cruelty free makeup, you can also search on Sephora’s website for natural brands. Be wary of green washing though – a lot of companies say they are natural or organic when they are not ( for example, physicians formula). The beauty world is not regulated well in regards to listing ingredients, so buyer be ware!
Good luck beauty babes! Go out and do your research and read those labels!